Life is an island. People come out of the sea, cross the island, and return to the sea.
But this short life is long and beautiful. In getting to know nature man exalts the wonder and beauty of life.
– Martiros Saryan
Are you dreaming or actually thinking of moving to the gorgeous island of Cyprus? This vibrant land is mostly known for its numerous and amazing sandy beaches with crystal clear waters,
Photo credit: Chescapo0
Photo credit: Arunacat
its delicious halloumi cheese and for the warm weather throughout the year.
Photo credit: Cerenstar
However, if you are in thoughts of moving or even traveling for holidays to the island you might want to know some extra facts.
So, here are 10+1 interesting facts you should know before moving to Cyprus
- Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus is divided into two nations by the ‘Green Line’. The self acclaimed Republic of North Cyprus which contains approximately 141,000 Turkish Cypriots and the South which contains the remaining Greek Cypriot population of nearly 1 million.
- Southern Cyprus joined the European Union on May 1st, 2004.
- The major industries of Cyprus are tourism,
Photo credit: musicmanuk1
fruit and vegetables
Photo credit: Jill111
wine, clothing, shoes and cement.
- The standard value added tax is 19%.
- The corporate tax in Cyprus is considered relatively low, just 12.5%.
- The traffic drives on the left hand side of the road.
- The crime rate is very low compared to the rest of Europe.
Photo credit: Debora171
- There are more than 57 beaches with the Blue Flag for cleanliness and safety on Cyprus.
Photo credit: Shilmar
- There are two airports – Larnaca and Paphos.
Photo credit: Paposhotelbeach
- There are 4 golf courses on the island.
Photo credit: Kpgolfpro
- There is an international opera festival every July which is held in various locations.
Photo credit: Lesya-Green
Cyprus is in a strategic location in the Mediterranean, easily accessible from anywhere in Europe and the Middle East.
The sunny island is a great holiday destination all year round!
Photo credit: CarolinaP
Have you been to Cyprus
or would you love to go?
Tell us all about it in the comment section.
Many happy travels!